Patriots’ Path Council’s STEM Committee locally implements the Boy Scouts of America’s STEM Nova program, doing our part toward the greater goal of enhancing an appreciation of STEM subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) by youth.
From archery to welding, Scouts can’t help but enjoy the wide range of STEM-related activities.
What is STEM-Nova?
The BSA’s Nova Awards program helps scouts explore how fascinating STEM can be. While the Supernova awards have more rigorous requirements, each Nova award covers one discipline — science, technology, engineering or mathematics.
- Cub Scout Nova awards: Science Everywhere, Down and Dirty, Nova WILD!, Out of this World, Tech Talk, Swing! and 1-2-3 Go!
- Boy Scout Nova awards: Shoot!, Let It Grow!, Start Your Engines, Whoosh! and Designed to Crunch
- Venturer Scout Nova awards: Launch!, Power Up, Hang On! and Numbers Don’t Lie
How Can Adult Leaders Help?
- Encourage Nova awards. Packs, Troops, and Crews can encourage your youth to work on the age-appropriate STEM Award. Similar to many BSA advancement requirements, any registered adult can be a counselor for the Nova awards. Once a Cub, Scout, or Venturer has completed the requirements, the unit can purchase the appropriate patch/device and award it at an appropriate recognition ceremony.
- Become a Supernova Mentor. Youth who complete NOVA awards and want to work on the Supernova award need to work through a PPC-approved Mentor, similar to a merit badge counselor. Adults with a vocation, avocation, or special training in STEM are invited to sign up as mentors.
- Host a field trip. If you have a connection to a cool STEM lab, factory, museum or other site that might make a great STEM partner, tour, field trip, or overnight let us know. Tell us what the opportunity is, if there is a cost, target age group, how it will improve STEM education for our Scouting youth, and how you can help make the experience happen.
- Create an InstaSTEM or MinuteSTEM. Patriots’ Path Council has pioneered the concepts of InstaSTEM and MinuteSTEM documents to help other Scouting volunteers include STEM programming in their units. We are always looking to expand our library! All of the information can be found at the InstaSTEM/MinuteSTEM page.
STEM In A Box
Looking for a great way to get your Cub Scouts started on their BSA Nova Awards? The Patriots’ Path Council STEM Committee has assembled self-contained BSA Nova Award program boxes complete with program materials and leader’s guides for select Cub Scout NOVA Awards:
- Science Everywhere
- Tech Talk
- 1-2-3 Go!
Each STEM box can be reserved thru the council service center in Cedar Knolls. This FREE resource does require a $20 deposit just to make sure all items are returned and received back on time (within one week). The STEM committee welcomes the deposit as a donation to keep the STEM boxes filled with equipment for years to come.
Handouts & Presentations
- STEM Programs at Patriots’ Path Council
- STEM Cub Adventure List
- STEM Nova Award Merit Badge Map
- STEM Nova Implementation Fast Start
- STEM Roadmap
- STEM in Patriots’ Path
- Infusing STEM into Troop Events
- Supernova Award Class Presentation
- Implementing STEM/Nova
- STEM In A Box Flyer
- STEM In A Box Request Form
STEM Program Director