Recruiting & Membership
As a leader, you are among the thousands of adults that make the Boy Scout program possible for youth. You also represent the program’s best sales force. Our goal is to leave no stone unturned. Every family should receive the message that Scouting is alive and well and available in their neighborhood. From outdoor adventures to character building, now is the time to invite new families to experience all that Scouting offers. Our Membership Plan blends traditional and new campaign strategies to help your pack welcome new members, all while showcasing the adventure of Scouting.
PPC Membership Plan
This plan has been put together to assist units in recruiting new families. We challenge you to use these ideas in your recruitment efforts, use your imagination, and help spread the excitement. Download the latest PPC Membership Plan which provides Council’s key goals and suggested tactics on how to achieve them.
VIP Info for All Unit Leaders
The following are the key actions you need to take to successfully recruit youth to your unit.
- Ensure that your Unit ‘Pin’ information is up to date. Find out how here.
- Help promote and reinforce Scouting Safely, The BSA’s Commitment to Safety and reasure parents how safe scouting is.
- Utilize Safety Moments during your meeting and recruitment events.
- Identify a parent willing to serve as your unit’s New Member Coordinator (i.e. recruiting / membership chair) and have them take the position specific training. Provide your NMC contact info to your District Executive.
Recruiting For Cub Scouts
The following presentations and resources will provide Pack Membership Chairs and New Member Coordinators with the knowledge and tools to successfully recruit new youth to their units.
New Member Coordinator Position
Sustaining strong membership in a unit depends not only on having new members join the unit, but also on engaging youth and their families in the unit experiences so that they feel Welcomed and want to stay. The role of the New Member Coordinator is to ensure that both keys to success take place.
- Download the printable NMC brochure: A brief summary of the New Member Coordinator position.
- Download the NMC business card template: Take advantage of this handy template to produce your own personalized business cards.
- Download the NMC business card example
- Download the NMC position description: A complete position description as printed in the District Committee Guide.
- Download the Welcome logo: New Member Coordinators need to be identifiable! Wear this logo with pride on an activity shirt, on a hat or a vest or in some cases, a pin on a field uniform.
VP, PPC Membership
PPC Membership Chair
Fishawack Membership Chair
Pioneer Membership Chair
Raritan Valley Membership Chair
Skylands Membership Chair