Certified Angler Instructor Course
New Date: October 17, 2020
Suffering from Cabin fever yet? Become a CAI in your unit. Use it to recruit and retain Scouts in your program using fishing. Help increase your units numbers. NO Experience Needed. Read more about Certified Angler Instructors.
- If interested or you have questions, please email Paul Minenna. The course will be held at Mt Allamuchy Scout Reservation. Training, Lodging and all meals provided for $60. Click here to register.
Read more about the course.
- No Experience Necessary: Den Leaders, Cub Masters, Assistant Scoutmasters, Membership Committee Members, Merit Badge Counselors, Crew Advisors.
- Weekend event includes a patch, Friday night cracker barrel, Saturday breakfast, lunch, dinner, cracker barrel, Sunday breakfast, and lunch. Coffee tea available all day. All instructional materials and hands on activities needed for Fishing, Fly Fishing and Fish & Wildlife Management training. Use this program to increase participation at your Pack, Troop or Crew!
- Learn or sharpen your skills using a variety of fishing poles from push button to fly rods! Use at den and pack meetings or troop outings to increase participation.
- Hope to see you there with members of the National Fishing Task Force members who are volunteers just like you. Have fun, learn new skills!
Paul Minenna, CAI
Annual Tunnell Fishing Tourney
Robert Tunnell Memorial Fishing Tournament
check back for more information
The annual Robert Tunnell Fishing Tournament will be held at Winnebago Scout Reservation on May 11, 2019. Open to registered Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Venturers, and their parents. Enjoy a great day of fishing on Durham Pond at Winnebago Scout Reservation. Prizes will be awarded for largest fish caught!
Recruiting: Build An Adventure – Hooked on Scouting
Build an Adventure – Hooked on Scouting (A Cub Scout recruiting campaign). Please fill out the Pack Application to Participate in Hooked on Scouting form so we can support your efforts with recruiting materials etc. Click for Pack Application form. Click for recruiting flier to use in your community.
Hooked on Scouting Kits
Hooked on Scouting kits are available for packs to borrow. The kit includes a group game with fishing poles, fishing knot activity, puzzles, games and more.
Fill out the form and send in to rent a Hooked on Scouting Kit. Click for form.
Patriots’ Path Council Complete Angler Award
Patriots’ Path Council announces complete angler recognition. Fish in three of our four on property fishing spots this year and earn this special recognition. A certificate will be awarded free of charge. An emblem will be able for purchase.
Durham pond at Winnebago Scout Reservation
Frenches Pond and Reservoir Pond at Mt Allamuchy Scout Reservation
Bear Pond at Sabattis Adventure Camp. Download Flier
The Complete Angler recognition was established by the BSA’s National Fishing Task Force in October 2014 to honor well-rounded youth anglers. Scouts who have earned the Fishing, Fly-Fishing, and Fish and Wildlife Management merit badges can earn the new award. Read more.
Boy Scouts – Merit Badge Resources For Counselors
- BSA Beginner’s Fly-Fishing Handbook
- Fly-Fishing Merit Badge Counselor Guide
- Fish and Wildlife Management Merit Badge Counselor’s Guide
- Fishing Merit Badge Counselor Guide
Merit Badge Presentations
Scouting Fresh Water Fish
Mt. Allamuchy Scout Reservation &
Winnebago Scout Reservation &
Ponds have a variety of fish species. Bass and Pickerel are the dominant species and feed upon all others.
Yellow Perch, Sun Fish and “Crappie” Blue Gills are the most abundant and easily caught from the shoreline. Sabattis may also have Trout.
Sabattis also offers Fishing Treks (7 person max) More Info visit the Sabattis page.
Dan Emmett: [Map] Little Clear Pond to Follensby Clear Pond – easy
Edward L Trudeau: [Map] Hoel Pond to Follensby Clear Pond – easy to moderate (options to climb mountain peaks or add more canoeing or fishing)
NJ is home to a great fisheries program :
Reservoir: Round Valley/Spruce Run has cold water species of Lake Trout, Trout, Bass, Pickerel, and Crappie.
Spruce Run is a warm water fishery with bass, pickerel, Catfish, and the above Crappie populations along with Yellow Perch, White Rock Bass.
Most Streams in NJ are stocked between April 2-Memorial Day week with Hatchery Trout 6-12 inches. Fishing license is needed by all 16 and over plus a trout stamp.
Wawayanda Lake, Lake Aeroflex and Allamuchy Mountain State Park‘s Tilcon Lake are home to landlocked Salmon fishing. These prized members are stocked from an exchange program with Maine and NJ DEP Fish and Wildlife. Anglers are encourage to report catches of these fish by emailing the Bureau of Freshwater Fisheries. Photos of your catch are also encouraged.
For more information, contact Pequest Trout Hatchery for cold water fish species, general information and tours for Scouts.
Freshwater Fishing Digest is now available on the NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife website. To view the Digest in PDF format visit click here. The digest includes everything pertaining to the current fishing season.
Paul Minenna is the National Boy Scouts of America Certified Angler Instructor in Patriots’ Path Council.
Please contact Paul for fishing related questions. Email Paul.
Hornaday Award Overview Video
Scout William O’Brochta, a silver Hornaday Award recipient, has put together a great video on the Hornaday Award. Two of his projects involve fishery management. Please take a moment to watch and enjoy!