Family Scouting for Boys & Girls
Girls can join Cub Scouts! Girls have been joining since January 15, 2018. After extensive surveys and studies, the Boy Scouts of America’s volunteer-led board of directors recently unanimously approved a plan to welcome girls and young women into all Scouting programs, and has posted information about the expanded opportunities for Family Scouting on a new Family Scouting page. The BSA Family Scouting page provides several resources, including a helpful Fact Sheet that explains the program levels and a Frequently Asked Questions document.
The Family Scouting Committee has prepared an information sheet on with the most frequently asked questions about Family Scouting. Click here to view the document.
For additional information or to schedule a presentation, please contact: Mary Ruth Lareau, Patriot’s Path Council, vice-president of Family Scouting at [email protected] or 973-479-8755.
Do … reiterate that as our organization welcomes families, boys and girls to our programs, the name of our organization remains the same. We are the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). Our mission — preparing young people for life — hasn’t changed and is found in all our programs…
Do … use only official Boy Scouts of America (BSA) materials, which are located on the BSA Brand Center. We’ve seen some well-intentioned assets developed by Scouters as they prepare to welcome girls that include problematic phrasing like “we’re starting a girl Scouts BSA troop.” Instead, you’re asked to use the downloadable email templates, flyers, postcards, posters, social media images, troop cards, videos, web banners and more available on the BSA Brand Center.
Don’t … use names, programs, marks, logos or images of the GSUSA or combine them with those of the BSA.
Don’t … use the word “girl” in front of “Scout.” Don’t say, for example “girl Scouts BSA troop” or “girl Scouts.” This includes in flyers, conversation, social media, etc.
Do … say things like:
- Join Troop 123 for girls.
- Our church has a boy troop and is forming a girl troop.
- Join the BSA. Find a troop for girls near you at BeAScout.org.
Is your pack participating in Family Scouting?
Click here to read the Family Scouting Pack Letter, then let us know. All packs should fill out the 2018/2019 Cub Scout Pack Designation Form. Click here to download the form.
Is Your Daughter Interested in Joining a Family Scouting Pack?
Find a Cub Scout pack in your neighborhood. Check out the participating packs in the table below; go to BeAScout.org and put in the zip code of the pack you want to see. Family Scouting packs are shown as having “Dens for boys or girls.” Currently, there are many packs for boys, labeled “Boy Pack.” Eventually, there will be girl-only packs, which will be labeled “Girl Pack.”
Patriots' Path Council Family Scouting Packs
- TOWN DISTRICT ZIP CODE PACK NUMBER
- FAMILY ALL GIRL
- Berkeley Heights Watchung Mtn 07922 268,363,268
- Bernards Black River 07920 786
- Bedminster Black River 07921 1749
- Boonton Fishawack 07005 201
- Boonton Twp. Fishawack 07005 69
- Branchburg Raritan Valley 08853 185, 315
- Bridgewater Raritan Valley 08807 99
- Butler Fishawack 07405 101
- Carteret Munsee 07008 88
- Chatham Fishawack 07928 6
- Chatham Twp. Fishawack 07928 24
- Cranford Munsee 07016 75
- Denville Black River 07834 31,99
- Dunellen Raritan Valley 08812 26
- Edison Raritan Valley 08817 12
- Fords Munsee 08863 26
- Franklin Sussex 07416 90
- Hamburg/Hardyston Sussex 07416 298
- Hampton Twp Sussex 07860 96
- Hillsborough Raritan Valley 08844 89
- Hillsborough Raritan Valley 08835 186
- Iselin Munsee 08830 148
- Jefferson/L. Hopatcong Black River 07849 111
- Kinnelon Fishawack 07405 277
- Long Valley Black River 07853 36,136
- Madison Fishawack 07940 226
- Metuchen Raritan Valley 08840 69
- Montague Sussex 07827 98
- Montville Fishawack 07045 179
- Morristown Fishawack 07960-3 34,513
- Mt Tabor Fishawack 07878 5
- Mt. Olive/Flanders Black River 07836 47,156
- Neshanic Raritan Valley 08844 1776
- N. Plainfield Watchung Mtn 07069 17,135
- Parsippany Fishawack 07034 215
- Parsippany Fishawack 07054 14,142
- Pequannock Fishawack 07440 79
- Perth Amboy Munsee 08861 3
- Piscataway Raritan Valley 08855 67
- Rahway Munsee 08861 47
- Randolph Black River 07869 109
- Rockaway Black River 07866 147,165
- Scotch Plains Watchung Mtn 07901 34,103, 377
- Sparta Sussex 08076 150
- Sparta Sussex 07871 295
- Springfield Munsee 07081 73
- Stanhope Black River 07874 151
- Succasunna Black River 07876 54, 159,163
- Summit Watchung Mtn 07901 110,301
- Towaco Fishawack 07082 68
- Union Munsee 07083 68,163
- Watchung Watchung Mtn 07069 32
Come to the NJ Division of
Fish & Wildlife’s
Youth Fishing Challenge
Saturday, June 8th.
This is a statewide “free fishing” day – no licenses required. Cub Scouts & Scouts BSA are hosting at Parks Lake in Rockaway. You will meet Scouting leaders and learn about the fun awaiting your son or daughter in Cub Scouts & Scouts BSA. Prizes will be awarded! Boys & girls who join Scouting that day will receive a free fishing kit.
When: Saturday, June 8th, Time: 8:00 am to noon, Where: Parks Lake, 73 Academy St. in Rockaway
All packs should fill out the 2018/2019 Cub Scout Pack Designation Form and send this form to the council’s Family Scouting committee prior to beginning any Family Scouting recruiting or program activities. Click here to download the form.
Family Scouting Committee Staff Advisor
973.765.9322 x 227
Family Scouting Informational Video
- Frequently Asked Question
- Family Scouting Committee Contacts
- Family Scouting Pack Letter
2018/2019 Cub Scout Pack Designation Form
- Program for Older Girls Update & FAQ
- Family-Scouting-Infographic with Pack and Troop Structures
- What’s Changed
- All Girl Troop Info Request Form
Adult Leader Courses
- Scoutmaster and Asst. Scoutmaster position training – Sept. 15, Oct. 28 or Nov. 3 2018
- Youth Protection Training
Youth Leader Courses
Suggested Timetables For Family Scouting Units
- Cub Scout Packs: Existing Packs Recruiting Girl Cub Scouts into All-Girl Dens
- All-Girl Troops: February 2019 Start-Up of All-Girl Troops in Scouts BSA
New Family Scouting Recruitment materials are available. Please use the material request form below.