School Weeks For Scouting
School Weeks for Scouting-(SWFS) is a Council-wide recruiting initiative to have a couple weeks in September when families can join Scouting in each town. The plan is to have recruiting during the week of September in elementary schools in Patriots’ Path Council. Members of the Scouting community are available to help support this initiative by volunteering on that date to help the units.
School Week for Scouting Plan:
- Cub Scout packs and Boy Scout troops will run a pack meeting or will have demonstrations and exhibits.
- Scouting information including what Scouting is, parent responsibility, and how to enroll will be given to those present.
- Applications and fees will be collected that night.
- New Scouts will be invited to pack or troop and district Fall activities.
- Registration forms for upcoming training courses for new leaders will be distributed and collected.
School Week Resources
Please check back as some of these resources are being updated.
- Review the School Week for Scouting Guide Book
- Orientation Dates
- School Week timeline
- School Week Order Form – order custom recruiting fliers and other materials
- Download Invitation – Send out invitations to Cub Scouts to attend your first pack meeting Download Invitation Front
- School Week Press Release Template – send out press releases about your School Week For Scouting
- School Week Front Yard Postcard – print the postcards to hand out to promote the Front Yard Camping event.
- BeAScout.org – please update your pack’s information that displays on the BeAScout.org website. Please note the Unit Leader, CC & COR have access & can designate someone in the unit as the point of contact. How to Update BeAScoutorg information.
- Site coordinators will collect applications, training registrations, and attendance sheets.
- Copies of applications will be emailed by council to unit leaders.
- The organizer and/or the membership committee will organize new units as necessary.
- New Scouts will be called to ensure they have been assimilated into a pack/troop.
We need to get information on Cub Scouts to students at our school(s.)
How do we distribute information in my school system?
Check back for a file listing access in various districts for this year. It will show whether to it is permitted to send fliers and whether fliers should be electronic or paper and whether Scouts can wear uniforms on your recruiting day.
Patriots’ Path sent a letter to School Superintendents requesting school access.
Click here for a sample of the letter.
Many schools have approved Boy Scout uniforms to be worn to publicize School Week for Scouting.
For the list of schools that are permitting uniform day – check back later for this years’ list.
Many schools welcome Scout leaders or Boy Scouts into the school during lunch or assembly for a 5 minute boy talk.
For more information on boy talks, click here.
If you need help with boy talks, please speak with your district executive.
Boy Talk videos:
Look at YouTube.com videos on boy talks for more ideas –
click here to see the videos.
School Week for Scouting 2016
September 12-23 is the date of the 2016 School Week for Scouting campaign. Add a night that week to your calendar for recruiting. Use the plan and resources list on the left to create your recruiting plans.