REGISTER NOW FOR TRAILBLAZER DAY CAMP
Click on the name or picture of tutorial to download or print.
TRAILBLAZER DAY CAMP
Camp Somers, Stanhope, NJ
Four week sessions July 11, 2016 – August 5, 2016
- Want to see what Scout camp is like?
- Need to complete your merit badge partials?
- Would you rather sleep at home and come to camp for the day?
Well, Trailblazer Day Camp may be perfect for you!
Trailblazer Day Camp at Camp Somers is a regular Boy Scout summer camp program for all Scouts. Camp runs Monday to Friday 8:45 am – 3:45 pm. You can come for one or more of the five sessions! Bus transportation is provided from locations throughout Morris, Sussex and NW Somerset counties. Buses depart camp at at 4:15 p.m.
For First Year Scouts
Trailblazer Day Camp can provide young Scouts with a positive first-time experience with summer camp. Scouts participate in the morning Dan Beard program, which is run by trained camp staff members, including many Eagle Scouts. Dan Beard emphasizes the patrol method, provides instruction in outdoor skills and assists Scouts with working on advancement requirements from Tenderfoot to First Class.
Many first-timers realize how fun Camp Somers is and sign up for additional sessions and attend the Ernest Thompson Seton program which covers advancement beyond the Dan Beard program. Others come back to work on more merit badges.
Trailblazer Day Camp for Older Scouts
Trailblazer allows more experienced Scouts to focus on earning merit badges, completing partials or working on advancement. Many older Scouts come to Camp Somers with their troops or with the Provisional Camp Troop for the overnight camp experience and then attend the Trailblazer program to earn or complete merit badges.
The Trailblazer program can be based on each individual Scout’s needs.
Camp Options for Merit Badges
- Dan Beard in the morning/aquatics in the afternoon. Recommended choice for first-year Scouts. Scouts who successfully complete the BSA swimmer test will work on the Swimming merit badge. Scouts who require more assistance will work on their swimming strokes through instructional swim sessions. These Scouts are given the opportunity to re-take their swimmer test as soon as they are ready.
- Dan Beard in the morning/one merit badge in the afternoon. Choose from any one of the merit badges offered. Choose this option if the Scout prefers to work on a merit badge other than Swimming.
- Full day of merit badges. Sign up for merit badges online as part of the registration process. You may take up to three morning merit badges and one after lunch. Recommended for Scouts who are at least First Class or those who have completed the Dan Beard program.
Just tell us when and where and we’ll do the rest! Packs, troops and crews are all eligible. You don’t need to be a Patriots’ Path Council unit.
SUMMER CAMP EMPLOYMENT
750 Waterloo Road
Stanhope, NJ 07874
(973) 347-2240 (in season)
Camp Somers Program Director
James Hitchings • 973-765-9322 x419
Keith Dlugosz • (973) 765-9322 x412
John Dorn • (973) 765-9322 x238
Amanda Landwehrle • (973) 765-9322 x422
The Warren Wheeler Adventureship is available to help families who need help covering the camp costs.
Forms & Resources
Check out the Forms & Resources page for links to additional forms and resources including our camping policies and information about merit badges.
Dan Beard Scouts
8:30 to 9 a.m. – Bus drop off
9 a.m. to noon – Dan Beard program
Noon to 1 p.m. – Lunch – bring your own
1 to 2 p.m. – programs and camp events
2 to 3 p.m. – aquatics or other merit badge work
3 p.m. – change clothes and walk to buses
4:15 p.m. – buses depart
8:30 to 9 a.m. - Bus drop off
9 a.m. to noon - Merit badge program
Noon to 1 p.m. - Lunch - bring your own
1 to 2 p.m. - Siesta activities
2 to 3:30 p.m. - Merit badge program
3:30 p.m. - walk to buses
4:15 p.m. - buses depart